Sunday, January 17, 2010

How often do you need to clip a dog's toe nails?

that has to totally depend on the dog. my dog i have to do it about once a week. he gets a lot of exercise, but they just grow so fast. if you dog has clear/white nails. you will be able to see the quick (the pink/red color thats blood). if it looks like they need to be clipped, then clip them. dont get the quick. you dont want them to start bleeding. but if you do accidently clip them too short, then you can get your basic flour in your kitchen. and apply pressure to the bleeding nail. you can also go to the pet store and buy steptic powder. either way would work just fine.How often do you need to clip a dog's toe nails?
The average time is between 2 and 3 weeks, but some dogs need to be clipped sooner. I have a beagle who averages about 3 weeks, but that's because she's outside pounding the pavement quite a bit. I mean, it also depends on the amount of wear and tear on the toe nails. A lot of places will do it for relatively inexpensive. Pet Smart does it for a reasonable price.How often do you need to clip a dog's toe nails?
Depends on the dog. I clip my mix's nails on a weekly basis, because his grow like crazy. I can tell when it's time because I hear that clicky-clack all over the wood floors. My lab rarely needs his nails trimmed...I don't even cut them once a month. Funny though that Love my GSD said that...because I do the same thing with my lab. We pretend to clip his nails when the mix is having his cut.
They should be able to walk with no problem. There is no set time. Its easier just to walk them on cement daily. If you do you will probably never have to cut them. The ail should be just barely curved.
I clip my GSD's nails every week whether they need it or not. If they don't really need it, I ';trim'; (pretend) to do it so he is consistantly having it done and doesn't get weary of it.
I need to clip both my dogs every two weeks, usually in the summer when they run around on pavement I don't need to do it as often though.
It all depends on the dog, but usually when ever they get sharp enough to hurt you when your dog's jump up on you.
every month or so make sure there cliped before you let them in the pool with you or you might get scratched


been there done that it hurts
Depends on the dog, his age and exercise. My MinPins are Dremeled about twice a month but my Dobe is done weekly to keep his neat and short.
when i start to here the click-clack on the kitchen floor. seems like every other week or so.
I do it every other week or so. Sometimes more.... as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment