Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm losing my toe nail. What should I do?

A plate dropped on my toe last week, and as a result, my toe was heavily bruised and swollen, becoming black and purple. Very very painful!





A few days later, my toe starting leaking dark blood and pus, which I guess was the dead blood cells. Also quite painful!





However, the toe nail has since become yellow and is just hanging on by a thin layer of skin. I can completely lift the nail up, although the toe underneath is still purple and bruised.





Should I just pull out the nail, or leave it, as it's so loose? I've been told to leave it, but think it's dead. I'm so concerned that one of my toes won't have a nail. Do toe nails COMPLETELY grow again, and if so, how long will it take?





Please help! I'm more concerned about the appearance of the toe and nail than the pain. I'm not quite sure what to do!I'm losing my toe nail. What should I do?
Yes, your nail will grow back. It usually takes about 6 months to grow back and it will probably look just as normal as all the rest.





Don't pull your nail off, it could be still attached to some live skin. Try and gently cut it off. If you are still in pain in a couple of days, visit your GP. It could be that the toe has become infected. A short dose of antibiotics will help you.I'm losing my toe nail. What should I do?
Omg, it just happen to my son he is 11yrs, and at first i though he was been so dramatic, but the whole nail was lifted i was just hanging with a little bit of skin, so i put a bandaid around it to hold the nail, gave him some tylenol for the pain, and told him what to expect in the following days.

Report Abuse



nails will grow back as long as the blood supply to the nail bed has not been completely cut off permanantly. if it is still receiving a healthy supply of nutrients and oxygen it will take several months to regrow depending upon your individual bodys time schedule.
invite your friends and bury your dead toenail in your backyard. cheers!
cover it with a bandage. let it alone then it wont hurt so bad to take it off later. it will grow back, it may take about 4-6 months
Wrap with a bandaid. It will fall off on its own and another will begin growing back. Had it happen numerous times, ot a big deal.





About the only time it never grows back is when you cut off part of the toe. You will be ok.
Hey, don't worry about it. I did the same thing to my toe, except with a computer desk instead of a plate. You shouldn't have to go to the doctor, unless you see signs of infection- even if your toe is broken, they can't set it or anything. Your nail will probably fall off on its own, but if it bothers you hanging there or if it catches on stuff, you can just pull it off and be done with it. It will take a while for your toenail to grow back, but it will grow back. While I was waiting for mine to grow, I actually glued a fake one on and painted it with nail polish so it looked like I had a normal toe. When my nail grew back, it went ingrown, and I had to have that taken care of, so when it does grow back in, keep an eye on it and if you have any pain or infection, go to your doctor.
go to the er or dr immidiately this could be a serious problem
Don't freak out! I did something kind of like that before and my toe nail fell off. It sucked but it definitely grew back in a couple of months. Sorry that happened though. I know that hurt! Just give it lots of TLC and everything will be okay. :)
Oh good Lord...it's a toe nail, for crying out loud! Put a bandaid around the nail for a week or so. Then when the bruising and tenderness are gone, you can clip off the toenail. It's dead and it will eventually fall off. If you don't cover it now, it might get pulled off with a sock or something. You nail will grow back in a few months. They don't grow as fast as your fingernails. Watch for signs and symptoms of infection; drainage, swelling and see a doc if necessary. Now....think of something really important to worry about, will you?
Buy this stuff called Bettadine, put on the nail with some gauze and tape it on there. The nail will look very ugly and hurt but this will guard against infection!
put duct tape on it to hold it together...lol Oh, and tonails are always dead anyway. just put a banage around it and wish for the best. that really sucks though...
put your name and phone number on it so whoever finds it can return it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment