Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My dog has jet black toe nails. How do I know how far back to cut them without causing trauma?

if you don't feel confident, don't experiment..take him/her to the vet.


clipping the nerve can cause a lot of pain %26amp; serious damage %26amp; he wont ever trust you with his feet!


a vet or groomer will gladly do it.My dog has jet black toe nails. How do I know how far back to cut them without causing trauma?
You can try just cutting off the sharp point of the nail, you will not cut them as short as they can go, but you will know you will not cut the quick. Sometimes if you look at the nail, even black ones, you can kind of see where the quick is. You will just have to practice until you know how far to cut. Remember, the shorter you keep his nails, the shorter the quicks will be. Long nails can only be cut very small bits at a time because the quicks have grown very long. If you do cut him, you can pack some cornstarch or flour into the wound to stop the bleeding.My dog has jet black toe nails. How do I know how far back to cut them without causing trauma?
Get the toenail clippers with the stop on it, they usually cut just the point off (they have them by the size of the dogs usually even so they can recognize how far back to go).





If your not comfortable doing it, ask your vet. At my vet its 8.00 or something. And one of my dogs (because of an injury that gave him foot problems) has to get meds which is the only reason I take him there.
If you do it very slowly--a sliver at a time, you will see a dark dog in the center when you are close to the quick.





I would suggest asking a groomer to show you. Vets can of course do it as well, but groomers actually do a lot more nails in any given day. :) I could cut nails with my eyes closed!
I used to have this very same problem, until someone told me the secret.





You take a little bit off the tip. Then you look at the area you just cut or ground. In the middle you should see a little dark spot. Cut off a little more and you will see the spot has gotten bigger and it continues to get bigger the closer you get to the quick.





It should look like a bullseye with a dark spot in the middle with an equal amount of white all the way around.





Hope this helps you as much as it helped me!
Very hard and to be quite honest the vets even have trouble. My dog has black nails and every time he got his nails trimmed by the vet they trimmed them to short. He would bleed and he doesn't like his nails touched at all. We bought that pedi paw...whatever it's called. It basicaly is a nail filer for a dog. He actually tolerates and likes that. I just sand the sharp points off.
Being a groomer i know that you can just tip the black nails just a very little bit .. dont go down to the wider part of the nail ... and you can even take an emory board and file them down also once you have tipped them.. if you just stay away from the wide part of the nail you should be fine...
You don't. You can get a groomer to do it for you or you can do it yourself with the help of another person. Have some quick stop ready in case you do clip too far. Use some good clippers for the size of the dog and start with small quarter inch clips.





Be careful.
I would STRONGLY recomend to to go to the vets. When I tried to cut my puppys paw, it cut too far back and it the '; Quick Spot'; His nail started to bleed, and he was crying for 20 minuites. So ever since then i took my dog to the vets. ( they're usually pretty cheap with the nail cutting)
Use the PETicure it is a machiene that files the dogs nails and it is worth the 20 dollars
Ask a veterinarian first time around. and watch what they do.
See your vet! They know all the answers.
i think you should ask a vet that


because they no more information than me
http://hubpages.com/hub/Dog-Nail-Clipper鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment